Comfort comes from multiple places…a hug from a loved one, a sentimental song, a stroll by the water, a good book and the couch, and even a necessary Hulu binge. Sometimes just walking in the door and knowing you can have some quality couch time with your significant other and decompress from the day can be a sense of comfort. Other times it’s a walk home for an hour to come down from the day. We all have our types of comfort.
Sometimes we get so preoccupied with life, that we take for granted our need for it, or don’t seem to feel like we have enough for it. There are weeks when I wonder, do I have enough time to just decompress from the work week. Especially working long days, by the time you get home, and wake up to do it all over again – it feels like you’re slightly stuck in the movie Groundhog Day. It can be exhausting, and sometimes a bit much.
There are some days when I just tune out the world and curl up on the couch and try to forget everything. Maybe it’s avoidance, maybe it’s escaping. But sometimes it’s the little quality time of comfort couch time I need to regain my energy for another week of madness.
The key is really to find your creatures of comfort. And find time for them. Typically it’s about quality of the comfort than quantity. The older we get, the faster time flies, and the more responsibilities we have — and in turn the less time we have for the couch.
I try to squeeze in little comforts even for a few minutes each day to re-energize myself or give myself a little “me” time. It can be 30 seconds, 5 minutes, or an hour.
My easy little comforts include:
- Having the perfect playlist to listen to/from work
- Reading a few pages of a book on my Kindle app on the subway
- Grabbing my furball and giving her a hug and treat
- Doing pilates or spin
- Catching up on a tv show
- Texting with my closest girlfriends over something random/funny
- Throwing on my comfy clothes and grabbing my favorite snack and just vegging on the couc with a cup of tea or wine
- Going for a stroll
- Walking into a bookstore and perusing
- Allowing myself a favorite treat (cheese, macarons or gelato)
What are your creature comforts?